Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:39:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        The Tech-Admin Dude <geniusj@phoenix.unacom.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, arikkert@surf.IAE.nl, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: timeconsuming processes on FreeBSD 3.1

On Thu, 20 May 1999, The Tech-Admin Dude wrote:

> I could add another one, top(1) frequently does that on this machine..
> so whatever answers you get, be sure to forward them to me :).

	Blast from the past, but since no one gave you an answer, here
is one suggestion. I used to have this problem all the time until I
discovered that top obeys environment variables. So, you could put the
following in /etc/login.conf (make sure to rebuild the db after editing):

:setenv=TOP='-I -d5'

The -I just means "don't display idle processes," the -d5 means "do 5
cycles then exit." Both are overridable from the command line. You might
want to set the -d value higher so that it's more transparent to the user,
but after setting this up I've never had another runaway top process.

HTH,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter
what it does.
                -- Will Rogers