Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 06:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/29845: 4.4-PRERELEASE crashes under heavy net I/O

The following reply was made to PR kern/29845; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To: Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:42:54 +0100

 [ Andre tried adding the kludge from if_sl.c that merges the tty and
 net interrupt masks - not as a solution - but just to determine if
 these crashes are caused by an spl problem. It seems they are. ]

 In message <20010821143627.A26964@curry.mchp.siemens.de>, Andre Albsmeier write
 s:
 >On Tue, 21-Aug-2001 at 11:52:57 +0100, Ian Dowse wrote:
 >> The fact that it is only pccard cards that have problems really
 >> suggests a problem there, but the crashes are so random that it
 >> has to be some kind of spl problem. Previously the cards got their
 >> own IRQ, so they would set it up with the right interrupt mask.
 >> Now all pccard interrupt handlers are called from the pcic one,
 >> so I don't think splimp() is blocking these interrupts.
 >
 >Yes, that seems to do it! I have my dd from /dev/zero to /dev/null via
 >rsh running in both directions for about 5 minutes now... No problems
 >so far.

 So at the moment, when the network code calls splimp(), it does
 not block NIC interrupts that come in via the pccard code. That
 certainly explains all the odd crashes.

 I'm not sure how to solve this problem properly, but it seems that
 pcic_pci_setup_intr() needs to call bus_generic_setup_intr() to
 properly update the interrupt masks. I assume there is a reason
 for not just using bus_generic_setup_intr() as the pcic_pci
 bus_setup_intr method?

 Thanks for trying out that kludge Andre! Hopefully there's enough
 information now to get it fixed properly.

 Ian