Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2012 22:54:51 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@dataix.net>
To:        Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
Cc:        "Leonardo M. Ram?" <martinrame@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fsck_ufs running too often

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:36:24PM -0700, Greg Byshenk wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:23:58PM +1000, Sean wrote:
> > On 23/06/2012, at 7:47 AM, Leonardo M. Ram? wrote:
> =20
> > > Hi, since a few of days ago, I noticed my home server turns very
> > > slow more than once a day, so every time I run "top" to see what's
> > > processes are running, I can see fsck_ufs at the very top, and the
> > > hard drive working like mad.
> > >=20
> > > I've checked my crontab and there's nothing related to fsck_ufs,
> > > where can I start searching for the cause of the problem?, I
> > > thought this process should run only at boot or shutdown, but this
> > > time it is running -apparently- without a cause.
> =20
> > Background fsck. Your server crashed, rebooted, started up and fsck
> > is running in the background while everything else continues.
> >=20
> > [...]
> >=20
> > The more important thing is to find out why it crashed - if there
> > was a power outage, hardware or software issue.
>=20
> Another thing to do is look in the logs to see if background fsck
> is failing for some reason. I've seen it happen in some cases that
> background fsck fails and asks for a manual run, in which case the
> filesystem remains dirty, and further reboots will continue to fail
> until a manual fsck is run.
>=20

At one point it was proven that background fsck was not benefitial. I am
not sure what ever came out of that but it was advised to turn it off.

I usually go with these to aid in something useful for things I do not
really care about. You might consider to/not use fsck_y_enable but they
help.

fsck_y_enable=3D"YES"
background_fsck=3D"NO"

--=20