Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2018 17:39:18 +0200
From:      Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
To:        Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve and arp problem

Bezüglich Daniel Braniss's Nachricht vom 02.04.2018 16:58 (localtime):

…

>> Are you trying to use the HOSTS ip address in the GUEST?
>
> the client is using the server’s /usr/local, which is mounted via nfs.

I guess you have reasons to prefer nfs over nullfs.

> so I guess the answer is yes.

I don't see how /usr/local is related to IP address assigning...

…
> the guest has only vtnet0 and lo0
> the ip of the client is obtained via dhcp
> on the server, there is a bridge, bridge0 and it bridges between the taps and the mxlen0

Hmm, do you assing an IP address to your if_tap(4) interfaces at your
bhyve-host?

if_tap(4) is used for interconnecting bhyve(8)'s virtio-net "backend"
with the host's host-IP stack via the character device /dev/tapX.
The if_tap(4) interfaces on the host mustn't get the guest's (clients)
IP address!  The address must be assigned to the if_vtnet(4) interface
_inside_ the guest (I call it the front-end of bhyve's virtio-net) –
done usually in /etc/rc.conf – no relation to /usr/local…

But chances are good I misunderstood something, either your setup or
your results... Else I can't explain what you see other than the above
scenario.

-harry