Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:26:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jazepeda@pacbell.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bin/26307: libc_r aborts when using the KDE media player (noatun) with the sound server(aRts)

>Number:         26307
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       libc_r aborts when using the KDE media player (noatun) with the sound server(aRts)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD zippy.mybox.zip 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #3: Mon Apr  2 00:38:55 PDT 2001     root@zippy.mybox.zip:/usr/src/sys/compile/ZIPPY_SMP  i386

Using mpeglib within noatun (or any other KDE media player) will cause
the player to crash (I'm operating on the assumption this is the fault
of linking in some threaded and some non threaded objects.  However, this
work succesfully on Linux and Solaris.  The interesting part is that this
takes the arts daemon down with it.  With a recent world+kernel, arts is
crashing inside libc, which got my attention anyways.

The interesting output (i.e. not from arts) was:
Fatal error 'gc cannot wait for a signal' at line 231 in file
/usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_gc.c (errno = 0)
Abort trap (core dumped)

>How-To-Repeat:
compile + install kdelibs (I'm using a CVS checkout from the HEAD branch, but I'm sure similar things would happen from the ports)
compile + install noatun, mpeglib, mpeglib_artsplug from kdemultimedia
(This also requires tweaking one of the configure.in.in scripts, and is likely outside the scope of the kdemultimedia port)

run artsd (running in a terminal can be very helpful)
run noatun
play an mp3, wav, or ogg vorbis file (anything using mpeglib).