Date:      28 Apr 2003 18:30:07 +0200
From:      Guy Van Sanden <n.b@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bootmanager & move FreeBSD between disks

Hello

I need some help to get something done in FreeBSD that I know how to do
in Linux, but I miss some specifics in FreeBSD.

I have two 40 GB disks in my home-server.  One disk contains all
filesystems (root and data), the other is free at the moment (it is
intended to be a backup/mirror disk).

Ath the moment, I have two problems on that disk:
1. After a BIOS upgrade my disk geometry (in the BIOS) changed, which
gives me warnings in FreeBSD (with disklabel)
2. My root filesystem is too small (154 MB, 50% used).

What I want to do is:
1. Boot the system from removable media (LiveCD?)
2. Copy all partitions from primary disk to backup disk (including the
root filesystem) - I think using tar
3. Repartition the primary disk with the correct geometry and a larger
root partition (300 MB should do it).
4. Copy the root and all data back to the primary disk (again with tar)
5. I don't have any idea how to do this, but I need to put the
Bootmanager back on the primary disk, using the new disk layout.

I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations and any help on
re-installing the bootmanager.

My configuration:
FreeBSD 5.0
Digital PC 3500 (Pentium II 333)