Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:52:55 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        jakob@teligent.se (Jakob Alvermark)
Cc:        garyj@muc.de, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAPI driver?

>From the keyboard of Jakob Alvermark:

> I don't have any experience in writing drivers. But it could be a fun
> projekt to learn. It would not be a very fast moving projekt though, due
> to my lack of time. Maybe I'm not all alone on wanting CAPI? Maybe there
> is more people interested in writing CAPI driver? I think this is a two or
> more persons projekt. Is there CAPI drivers for unix's? (Linux?)

For Linux there is a CAPI interface available for the AVM B1 card (which
already has sort of CAPI i/f onboard).

As far as i remember it, there was a discussion in a newsgroup going on
where some people wanted to add a general CAPI i/f to isdn4linux but i
don't know if they did made any progress.

The difficulty in producing a CAPI for BSD would be the lack of STREAMS
in the BSD kernel(s) - when you have a look at CAPI 2.0 (or even CAPI 1.1)
you will see that the Unix CAPI specification is STREAMS based, so before
implementing a CAPI you will need to implement STREAMS.

A CAPI would be a highly welcome thing, but i doubt we'll ever have one
due to the huge amount of design and coding work necessary to get one.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77