Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:58:01 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest SSH?

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:32:42AM +0100, Danny Woods wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I upgraded from 5.1 to 5.2.1p3 over the weekend, and finished off with a =
Nessus
> scan to check that ssh was the only port visible to the outside world. De=
spite
> a recent (i.e. last Thursday) cvsup to sync the source tree, I'm getting a
> high severity warning about a hole in SSH based on the version number rep=
orted
> (3.6.1p1 FreeBSD-20030924). I'm using the core ssh, not the version from =
ports.
> Does anyone know if this problem is real, or a false-positive?

It's false.  I assume it's complaining about the problems described in
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-03:15.openssh.=
asc
as that's the last OpenSSH advisory published. (Not to be confused
with the recent OpenSSL advisory).  The security patches supplied fix
the vulnerabilities, but they generally don't do that by supplying a
whole new version of an application.  Import of new versions of such
things as OpenSSH will only happen on one of the development branches
-- ie. HEAD (5-CURRENT) or RELENG_4 (4.9-STABLE), so RELENG_5_2 will
stick with OpenSSH-3.6.1p1 and you'll have to wait until RELENG_5_3 in
order to upgrade to OpenSSH-3.8p1 (or whatever the OpenSSH version is
by the time 5.3-RELEASE comes out).
=20
> As an aside, can sshd be prevented from reporting its version number on
> connect, or is this something that a client-app needs to know?

The client app needs to know the version of the SSH protocol you're
running -- that it gets from the 'SSH-1.99' part at the beginning of
the banner ssh emits when you connect to port 22.  The rest of what's
printed there is not so important.  Apart from the 'version addendum'
part, you'ld have to hack the source code and recompile to chage
what's printed.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20