Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:22:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tony@dell.com (Tony Overfield)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: >64MB

> >1)	You can't trust a *user process* to call the BIOS (it's not
> >	the sword that's the problem, it's what the peasent *does*
> >	with the sword that makes us make them illegal for everyone
> >	but the knights and the king).
>
> I didn't realize the bootloader had user processes.

This is in the general sense of a callable VM86() interface.  This
assumes the kernel is up.

> >2)	The BIOS INT 13 code has a 2G limit on partition size, unless
> >	you can guarantee all the devices in your machine support
> >	LBA mode (even then the limit on LBA is lower than the limit
> >	in FreeBSD... 64bits >> 32 bits).
>
> This appears to be completely wrong.
>
> First, I'm talking about bootloaders.  I assume you agree that the
> bootloader should use INT 13.
>
> Second, the INT 13 interface (without LBA mode) is limited
> to 8.4 GB, not 2 GB.

A DOS partition (assuming we use the DOS MBR and aren't idiots, we
are tied to the DOS partition table) is limited to C/H/S values.
You have tha ability to map an 8G space with four descriptors.

> Third, the limit for LBA INT 13 is 64-bits worth of sectors, or
> 2^73 bytes.  This should last us for several more years.

The LBA limit is irrelevant.  It's not usable, so it might as well
be fiction.

> >3)	Gate A20 (now you will argue that Dell hardware doesn't use
> >	BIOS code that expects a wrap in memory).
>
> Of course I will!  I doubt any BIOS has ever been made that needs
> it.  You'll no doubt cite some heap-o-crud(tm), obsolete system made
> by some long defunct company, probably with some ironic name like
> "Leading Edge" or something....   ;-)

Yep.  Right where I was going...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org