Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:45:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Phil Wang <Phil.Wang@wizeup.com>
Cc:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>, Questions FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why not bind socket with an address under BSD?

Hm, if you send mail to me and questions, my mailfilter sticks both copies
in -questions.  Good thng I'm back to reading -questions :-)

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Phil Wang wrote:

> My FreeBSD 2.2.5 gateway has not worked well since last Friday, which
> bridges an intrane to Internet. Network communications of internal
> machines accessing Internet are good through this gateway's NATD, but
> that of the gateway and internal machinese are extremely slow at the
> begin of their connections such as telnet, ftp and http.
>
> When I tested the gateway machine with a self-coded network program, I
> found that it could not bind its socket with a local address
> (192.168.1.1:2323). The error message is below.
>
> su-2.01# inet_svr 2323
> inet_svr: addr=101a8c0 sin_port=4873
> bind(): errno=49 Can't assign requested address
> binding: Can't assign requested address
>
> Does this binding error cause a slow network communication between BSD
> gateway and internal machines? How to solve it?

Slow connections tend to point to broken reverse DNS resolution.  Most
daemons will reverse-lookup your IP address on connection, and if that
info is bad or unavailable, it will time out and slow things down.

For your bind problem, perhaps something is already running on port 2323?
Check netstat.

Doug White