Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:17:40 -0400
From:      Christopher Weimann <csw@k12hq.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>, Sean Farley <sean-freebsd@farley.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing GNU grep revisited

On Wed 06/25/2003-11:43:50PM -0700, David Schultz wrote:

> The only good string matching algorithm I actually understand is
> KMP, but really smart people tell me Boyer-Moore is the fastest in
> the average case.  It *can* be worse than KMP, depending on the
> input, but for nearly all inputs it supposedly works quite well.
> There shouldn't be any patent issues associated with it.

Aho-Corasick and Commentz-Walter specifically deal with searching
for multiple keywords which is really a different problem than
searching for a single keyword like KMP or Boyer-Moore.

Here is a neat applet that shows how AC works.
http://www-sr.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~buehler/AC/AC.html

Christopher Weimann
http://www.k12usa.com
K12USA.com Cool Tools for Schools!