Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:36:13 +0100
From:      "Petr Holub" <hopet@ics.muni.cz>
To:        "Christian Kratzer" <ck@cksoft.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: tx driver

Hi!

I'd like to apologize for my cross-posting: if there is some following
debate I'd like to move it to freebsd-hackers.

> the usual problem with this kind of performance with any driver
> is failed full/half duplex negotiation.  Please try manually forcing your
> card to half or full duplex
>
> Add one of
> 	-mediaopt full-duplex
> or
> 	-mediaopt half-duplex
>
> depending on the setting of your switch to your ifconfig line in /etc/rc.conf
>
> This is the single most common cause of really low ethernet performance.
> I have had good experiences with the tx driver on 4.3 ond 4.4 releases.

Well - this is the answer I got from almost everybody. My answer for this
is: no, it's not about the duplex problems :-(. I should have describe those
problems in more detailed way:

- this is not general behavior: the card gets about 11,6 MBps throughput
  using netperf tests

- this problem arises in quite obscure conditions:

  - either on routers (FreeBSD machine with this SMC card is acting
    as PC router) where the network load rises over certain values
    (but this is hard to simulate :-( )

  - when I check out large CVS tree on my own machine with this
    card: the symptoms here are
    1) rather fast start
    2) then it gradually reduces speed (even much less than mentioned
       200 kBps - it decreases to few kBps)
    3) end up with overall run time more than 10x higher than
       it is on all other comparable machines :-(

So - is there anybody experiencing similar problems?

Best regards and thanks,

Petr

                            Petr Holub
CESNET z.s.p.o.                       Supercomputing Center Brno
Zikova 2                             Institute of Compt. Science
10200 Praha, CZ                               Masaryk University
Czech Republic                     Botanicka 68a, 60200 Brno, CZ
e-mail: Petr.Holub@cesnet.cz              phone: +420-5-41512278
                                       e-mail: hopet@ics.muni.cz