Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 13:56:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <thelab@nmarcom.com>
Cc:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc make.conf

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe wrote:

> I'm somewhat confused about tis whole USA_RESIDENT thing. The more i
> reaseach, the more i seem to wonder if Canadian Residents can also use the
> USA_RESIDENT stuff without feeling guilty about it or having the Men in
> Black show up on their doorstep. Is it ok for me to generally consider
> USA_RESIDENT to mean US_OR_CA_RESIDENT? Or is it a package-by-package thing?
>
> The whole lifting of export restrictions between the US and Canada seems to
> be an odd, poorly documented thing, which is annoying since several of the
> US cryptology routines were developed by canadians in the first place. :(

  There are two issues:

- copyrights
- export restriction on cyrpto

  Stuff that uses RSA is (like pgp) under copyright in the US.  This
copyright does not seem to apply to Canada, so I always use the
"international" (I find it more straightford to build) version of pgp.

  I peronsonally think that you'd want to set USA_RESIDENT to no, whenever
possible, just because the build process is generally less complex.

> -Mit

Tom