Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 00:32:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   disklabel -r -w rz2 rzxx

Geeze.  I've been installing a new SCSI disk at a customer lately who
is running digital unix.  Interestingly enough, everything around the
file system (disklabel, newfs) looked very confident to me.

Well, they've got one (undocumented, of course) feature i found
interesting: in order to write the disklabel for the first time onto
an unlabelled disk, you could provide it with the argument "rzxx", and
the system figured out the basic parameters of the drive (and made an
initial suggestion for the file systems).

I thought of this being a neat idea, and actually all we need in order
to implement it would be that ioctl(DIOCGDINFO) would fill in as much
parameters for an unlabelled disk as the driver does already know.

Of course, "rzxx" is a poor naming, i would rather suggest "auto".

--
cheers, J"org