Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 20:27:22 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH and Krb5, FreeBSD style...

[Sorry, I fat-fingered my previous message.  Here I try again.]

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 08:16:28PM -0500, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 03:47:49PM -0700, Peter Losher wrote:
> > O.k., after banging my head against the wall with Heimdal and MIT
> > libs fighting over each other, I cam across this closed PR:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=20504
> >
> > Which seems to indicate that the branch of OpenSSH that FreeBSD uses now
> > (as of March 6th) has support for Krb5 Authentication on both the server
> > and client ends workng with the integrated Heimdal libs.  Is this true?
>
> Yes.

though I  am not certain of  the date.  FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE  and later
definately have the right bits, though.

> > If so, is there a web site (or man pages) describing what config variables
> > etc. are needed to set this up?  I can't find it in the example ssh_config
> > and sshd_config.

You didn't  look hard enough :-)  Look around line 49  of sshd_config.
You want  to set `KerberosAuthentication  yes' in both the  client and
the server.

> > Also, is there a man page (or web site) which describes how to get up Krb5
> > using the integrated Heimdal package? (I have previously used only MIT Krb5
> > from ports), All the Kerberos stuff I have seen on the 4.3-STABLE system so
> > far is all Krb4 (Project Athena, etc) and no Krb5 binaries (kinit, kadmin,
> > ksu, etc.) although the libkrb5* libraries are in /usr/lib/
> >
> > And ideas, suggestions where to look?

Unfortunately,  the `integrated  Heimdal'  package is  still far  from
complete.   You  can  find  some  of  what  you  are  looking  for  as
/usr/bin/k5init, k5admin,  k5su, and so on.   However, notably missing
is a KDC and integration with any of the standard clients/daemons such
as TELNET and FTP.  For  these additional pieces, install Heimdal from
the ports system (/usr/ports/security/heimdal).

If  you've never  set up  Kerberos before,  you have  some reading  to
do.  Start  with http://www.isi.edu/gost/brian/security/kerberos.html,
and peruse  the info files included  in the Heimdal port  and possibly
the MIT Kerberos  5 port.  Documentation on  implementation and system
administration details  is sparse for  MIT Kerberos and  sparser still
for Heimdal.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org