Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 08:07:53 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockups with -Stable on Athlon

In message <200105080216.f482GgP28394@grumpy.dyndns.org>, David Kelly
writes:
> Jonathan Belson writes:
> > Hiya
> >

> > I recently upgraded my machine to a 1.2GHz Athlon on
> > a ABit KT7A motherboard, with 256MB RAM.
> >
> > Unfortunately I've started been experiencing a number
> > of complete lock-ups when running FreeBSD (X3.3.6 +
> > KDE 2.1.1) - it abruptly freezes, I can't even ping
> > the machine.  Nothing in the logfiles gives any hints.
>
> 800 MHz Athlon and Asus A7V, plain old PC133 memory, unknown CAS (let
> the BIOS read it off the stick). This system would lockup usually 30
> minutes into a heavy load such as "make -j4 buildworld", which is a 55
> minute job. The variable time between freezes was such that it could
> complete about 1 in 5.
>
> Started surfing the BIOS config. The last thing I changed before finding
> stability said something about PCI 2.2 standard in the comments in the
> printed manual, said nothing on the screen. I disabled it as all my PCI
> cards are pre-2.2. System has been rock solid since. And I buildworld
> several times per week just to make sure. All the while running the
> dnetc client.

When I purchased my PIII/933 on an ASUS CUSL2-C board, the system would
hang hard.  During most of the hangs the LED connected to the
AHA-2940UW was lit.  I was able to reproduce the hang 1 out of every 3
by using the external SCSI Zip-100 drive, though I/O to other devices
on the SCSI bus would hang the system too (not as reproducible as I/O
to the Zip drive).  I discovered a web page at scsifaq.org that claimed
that the 2940 and 100 MHz FSB (the CUSL2-C has a 133 MHz FSB) were
incompatible, causing hard hangs, leading me to consider this a PCI
problem.  Disabling PCI 2.1 (reverting to PCI 2.0) in the BIOS solved
the problem, no hangs since.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC