Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:06:44 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <current@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syscons not running?

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 19:33, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> Milan Obuch wrote:

[snip]

> >> you did not give us more details about your setup. i assume that you are
> >> booting your system with the usb keyboard attached. imo, 'syscons not
> >> running?' message is harmless. it is caused by /etc/rc.syscons restart
> >> part of the ukbd(4) attach 'action' in /etc/devd.conf.
> >
> > Yes, you are right - there is detachable keyboard connected via USB on
> > TC1000. Any more details on my setup useful to analyse this further? I
> > can live with this, if it is harmless...
>
> no, i do not need any more information on your setup.
>
> > However, this message gets written on screen even when booting with this
> > keyboard detached. At least once.
>
> it should not happen. do you have "keyboard=.." in your /etc/rc.conf?

No, nothing like this. All there is just

hostname="tablet.dino.sk"
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
moused_enable="NO"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="NONE"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"

That's all.

[snip]

> > I did test it couple of times without keyboard, again, and this time
> > message disappeared. With USB keyboard attached back, message reappears.
> > So I think your idea is correct. Just a question - if it is not a bug,
> > why this message at all?
>
> devd(8) is started before syscons. when ukbd(4) is present during boot,
> devd(8) will get an event and will try to execute 'action'. like i said
> before, the attach 'action' for ukbd(4) has '/etc/rc.d/syscons restart'
> in it. 'restart' is implemented as 'stop' and then 'start'. because
> syscons was not started yet, the 'stop' action will "fail" (not real
> failure) and the message will be printed.
>
> > By the way, when doing these tests, once there was a problem - after
> > attaching USB keyboard after booting, kernel detected ukbd0 arriving, but
> > keyboard was 'dead' - no response to typing. After detaching it and
> > attaching again, it worked. No idea why - but no idea anyway, how can I
> > debug such a situation.
>
> are you using kbdmux(4)?

Yes, and it works really well, as already reported in separate mail. Something
I would love to have from the beginning with TC1000 two years ago.

Regards,
Milan

--
N. B.: No need to CC me, I read this list regularly.