Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 1999 08:15:02 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rune questions

In message <19991101122450.A24299@scorpion.crimea.ua> Alexey Zelkin writes:
: But I don't see anywhere descirptions on PHONOGRAM and IDEOGRAM. Manpages
: shown that these categories were used by Japan locale only (again without any
: descriptions :-( )

A PHONOGRAM is a symbol that stands for more than one sound without
meaning.  In Japanese the phonograms are the hiragana and katakana,
which are used to spell out some words and endings phonetically.  An
IDEOGRAM conveys both the sound and the meaning of the word, or word
fragment, which is called kanji.

The Japanese language is nihongo (this is a romanization of the word,
and variants may exist).  Spelled out in hiragana, it looks like にほ
んご, but you are more likely to see its kanji of 「日本語」.  I said
word fragments above because the English language is eigo or 「英語」.
Notice the common suffix -go, represented in hiragana as 「ご」 and as
kanji「語」.

I'm sorry that I don't have a URL to support the above.  It is a
simplification of what is going on.

Warner