Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 2009 16:42:45 +0400
From:      Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru>
To:        Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/132615: [patch] x11/libX11: work aroung parsing bug in Bash 4.0

Robert, good day.

Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 03:39:36PM -0500, Robert Noland wrote:
> Well, I don't actually know anything about dolt...

Here is the announcement for DOLT:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2008-04/msg00001.html

> but, yes this seems like it might be worthwhile.  What do you
> attribute the speedup to be from?  Is dolt doing a parallel build,
> while make is not?

No, as you can see from the announcement, DOLT replaces libtool for the
modern systems where you can create libraries in a few steps.
Full-blown libtool works on every platform on the expense of its speed.
DOLT minimizes the build time on the modern systems and falls back to
libtool on the systems it cannot handle natively.

So I am attributing the speedup to the DOLT itself -- it is just faster
than libtool.
--
Eygene