Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 16:01:42 +0200
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports for X11 stuff

Satoshi,

You, Satoshi Asami, were spotted writing this on Tue, Mar 03, 1998 at 02:41:47AM -0800:
>  * about different things. What I was talking about (and pardon me for not
>  * making myself clear) is installing any X related ports into
>  * /usr/local/X11R6/*, not installing all of X into /usr/local. My
>
> Let me make myself clear one more time; and I'll shut up.
>
> This is not a FreeBSD issue.  It is *not possible* for us to change
> this without massive imake hacking.  Talk with the XFree86 folks about
> it if you really care about it.

I'm afraid you misunderstood the argument. I was talking about X11 ports
_that build without imake_. There're quite a few. rxvt(1) is a good example.
These ports are now forced into /usr/X11R6 by USE_X11 (without USE_IMAKE);
bsd.port.mk then selects PREFIX to be either /usr/X11R6 or /usr/local, based
on whether USE_X11 is defined. PREFIX is then picked up either by
configure or custom Makefile, etc...

Again, an /etc/make.conf _non-default_ flag could force USE_X11 to mean
PREFIX=/usr/local/X11R6 (or even specify the dir in the flag, instead
of making it boolean), and force bsd.port.mk not to run mtree to
reaffirm/recreate X11's dir structure in $PREFIX, or run it /usr/local,
or whatever.

And - lo and behold - at least the non-imake ports go cleanly into
/usr/local/X11R6.

(I guess if I repeat this a few more times, Jordan will agree just to
shut me up ;)).

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/