Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:25:11 -0700
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Commercial Tripwire available for Linux, not FreeBSD

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > The person who answered the phone said that he doubted there would ever be
> > > an implementation for FreeBSD because "no one uses it." When I pointed out
> > > that FreeBSD's estimated user base is two thirds that of Linux,
> >
> > You probably lost him at this point.
>
> Yeah.
>
> Just say it's 66% of Linux's installed base.
>
> Let him use the estimate for Linux to inflate FreeBSD's figures, since
> there's really no count of the Linux installed base, other than estimates.

Red Hat is saying ten million according to Bob Young during a CNN
interview aired tonight.  Prior to that, the oft quoted number was seven
million.  Total guesswork.  Why not eleven million?  Fifteen?  Who could
possibly contradict him with any more credibility?

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.