Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2012 06:31:23 -0600
From:      "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qt4-webkit-4.8.2 build fails during portmaster run for icu update

On 12/19/12 17:30, David Wolfskill wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 09:31:58AM -0600, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
>>>>
>>> At first glance, it does look like an icu problem.
>>>
>>> Sorry I have no idea.
>>> Bapt
>>>

>> I found symlinking the new icu library as the old one works for a dirty
>> hack.
>
> Joseph -- sorry; I wasn't able to figure out which of the icu libraries
> you meant, but I appreciate the note (with its implicit confirmation
> that I'm not alone in seeing a problem with this).

cd /usr/local/lib/
ln -s libicui18n.so.50 libicui18n.so.48

now I don't exactly recommend it (and when I'm done rebuilding I"m
removing the symlink) that's what worked for me (Firefox and Thunderbird
wouldn't launch w/o being rebuilt, hence why the symlink). it's dirty
but should get your using apps until then.

> While I have not solved the problem, I believe that I've mitigated it to
> some extent: Once portmaster terminated, it helpfully provided a list of
> the ports (roughly in the sequence in which they were likely to have
> been built, had things not gone wrong).
>
> So I re-invoked portmaster, but I skipped the ports that were causing
> the immediate distress... eventually failing again on net/wireshark
> (as expected), so I iterated over the procedure until I was unable
> to rebuild any of the ports left to be built.
>
> The list of ports that failed (in my case -- and please note that
> net/wireshark had failed its update for me prior to the devel/icu
> update) is:
>
> devel/qt4-assistant
> www/qt4-webkit
> graphics/ImageMagick
> graphics/graphviz
> devel/qt4-linguist
> net/wireshark
<snip>

portmwaster -w -r devel/icu <--- what I invoked to rebuild all deps
(from /usr/ports/UPDATING). I'm not running into any issues (I sorted
them out when I updated pcre), though I did have issues when I was
running the dep build for pcre (icu deps on pcre for some reason).

In essence: Don't make the symlink unless you have to, rebuild dependent
ports and be done with it. I'm doing to wait until both icu and pcre
need to be updated, then I'll update them together to rebuild everything
together.

--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org