Date:      09 Aug 97 20:05:10 +0100
From:      Dave.Bodenstab@234-49-99.swimsuit.roskildebc.dk (Dave Bodenstab)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mixing SCSI and IDE drives

From: Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>

> Seem to recall discussion about problems when mixing SCSI and IDE.
> Would like to acquire a SCSI for sd0a and booting off of same but
> wish to have an el cheapo IDE available for mounting.  Is such an
> arrangment possible without a great deal of teeth-gnashing?

I've got 2 IDE and 2 SCSI drives.  What you can do depends a lot on
your bios, both on your motherboard and on your host adapter...

In my case, the motherboard bios will always boot from the master IDE drive,
although the boot manager installed by FreeBSD allows booting from the slave.
The bios has an option to support SCSI, but I've never even tried it.
If I disable the master IDE drive (mark it as ``not installed'') then
when the motherboard bios passes control to the BusLogic host adapter
bios, *that* bios comes back to the motherboard with the boot drive --
I'm not real clear on exactly how this is done, in practice it means that
if I disable the master IDE disk, the system will attempt to boot off the
SCSI drive (probably SCSI ID 0) -- it becomes ``C:'' to dos.

I suspect that if you tell the bios that the IDE drive is ``not installed'',
then FreeBSD will still be able to access it.

You need to experiment with your bios settings and see what happens.  Can't
hurt anything as long as you remember what settings you originally had so
you can put everything back as it was.

In the worst case, just create a small BSD partition on the IDE drive --
you only need perhaps 15-20M for your root slice.  Create the other
file systems -- /usr, /var, /tmp, /home, etc. -- on your SCSI drive(s).

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@mcs.net