Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2018 03:06:56 +0800
From:      Po-Chuan Hsieh <sunpoet@freebsd.org>
To:        Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>
Cc:        farrokhi@freebsd.org, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <rm@freebsd.org>, python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipython 7.x and ipykernel 5.x

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:11 PM Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Trying to update devel/py-jupyter_console and devel/py-qtconsole, I
> found that I need ipython 7.x and ipykernel 5.x. I already created
> devel/py-prompt_toolkit2 since prompt_toolkit 2.x is incompatible with
> 1.x.

> Should I commit separate ports for devel/ipython7 and
> devel/py-ipykernel5 or do you have plans to update devel/ipython and
> devel/py-ipykernel? Note I already have devel/ipython7 and
> devel/py-ipykernel5 tested and working locally. But I thought we may
> prefer to just update rather than keep so many versions around. What's
> your preference?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Hi,

IMHO, it would be better to keep 2 versions, one for python 2 and one
(latest) for python 3, at least before we change default python to 3.x.
That is to update ipython to 7.x and devel/py-ipykernel to 5.x. It means we
also have to keep 2 versions for the dependent ports,
e.g. devel/py-jupyter_console5 for 5.x and devel/py-jupyter_console for 6.x.

BTW, regarding py-prompt_toolkit, I've planned to update
devel/py-prompt_toolkit to 2.x and keep the 1.x as devel/py-prompt_toolkit1
because some of the dependent ports migrate from prompt_toolkit 1.x to 2.x
and others are not yet. I prefer to keep the latest version in the ports
tree without suffix.

Regards,
sunpoet