Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 95 14:16:31 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        hsu@cs.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: New Cyclades driver issues and status

>    > 1. FreeBSD seems to have bidir support in the device driver
>    >    rather than at the application level.  Is this the official
>    >    policy? I.E. using /dev/cua and /dev/ttyd?
>
>    It's traditional BSD.
>
>    It avoids the lockfile issue for the getty program.
>
> ... but makes it necessary to duplicate the same functionality into all
> serial drivers, which isn't too wise either.

I've suggested abstracting the cannonical processing module, queue
management, and device abstraction (ala SCO) to increase the amount of
shared code and the treatment of serial cards as multiple controllers
under a class driver (ala Julian's SCSI abstraction) before.

Now I'll suggest it again.  8-).

The problem is in driver writers not making their code modular or generic,
which is the expedient soloution.  I guess it depends on if you want a
single driver working now, or all drivers working later.

The device/calling unit abstraction is a necessary distinction between
modem control and non-modem control drivers.

If people would just use templating techniques, the problem would
disappear.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---