Date:      Sun, 3 May 2020 20:12:40 -0400
From:      "John W. O'Brien" <john@saltant.com>
To:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RUNNING flag remains unset upon reinserting a gre into VNET jail

--xqNwfezJN2dnf21jtcUAtHagGZBJLvdSL

--R1t7uOqxOd5bvgHjWv8ihzCsIfv5eork0

Hello Andrey and FreeBSD Net,

Today I stumbled upon what may be zero, one, or maybe two bugs. If it's
one bug, then I think there might be a case the fine work in r339552 [0]
to keep the RUNNING flag consistent with whether or not the gre source
address exists does not accommodate. I'm still working on a minimal test
case, so bear with me.

If I create gre0 on the host, then start a VNET jail which gets gre0 and
a physical interface (msk1, in my case) and inside which both are
configured, all is well inside the jail. Upon stopping the jail, the
"tunnel" setting is not removed from the gre (I'm not sure whether to
consider this a bug, too, or not), so when the dust settles back on the
host, msk1 has no address, and the gre is not RUNNING, which is fine.
However, if I start the jail again, then the gre is not RUNNING inside
the jail even though msk1 again has the appropriate source address.

I worked around this by creating gre0 inside the jail where it is
destroyed upon jail stop. It would be nice if it either worked the other
way, or failed with less astonishment.

Am I missing something that should be obvious? If this does seem like a
bug, shall I submit something now or wait until I have a cleaner demo?

[0] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/339552 (thank you!)

Regards,

--=20
John W. O'Brien