Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:09:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Aggregate quotas?

Greetings everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way of either 1) implementing aggregate
quotas, or 2) working out a problem with FTP that's causing me to possibly
want to do #1.  The situation is like this:

I've got a machine with 2 9-gig hard drives, mounted as /home1 and
/home2.  Most of the user directories are on /home1, and a few are on
/home2.  Since /home2 has the most free space, I thought I'd put /ftp
there as well (i.e. /ftp is a symlink to /home2/ftp).  This works fine,
except when it comes to quotas.  Since most user directories are on
/home1, their quotas are also applied to space in use on /home1, and they
have no quota on /home2, and could potentially put as much junk there as
they wanted to, and never go over quota.  I could have separate quotas for
each user for /home1 and 2, but then I'd either have to divide the quota
between the two volumes (which never works out right, since some users
don't use much FTP space at all, and some use at on), or give them their
regular quota on each volume (effectively doubling their space allotment),
neither of which I really want to do.

At first I thought I could just create another FTP directory in
/home1/ftp.  However, I realized that wouldn't work either, because
anonymous FTP users would be chroot'd to see /home2/ftp as just /, and
wouldn't be able to get to /home1/ftp.

So, what I'm looking for is one of the following:  1) A way of
implementing aggregate quotas, which a friend of mine said would allow you
to have a single quota across multiple volumes, but he didn't know of an
implementation of it for FreeBSD; or 2) A better solution to the FTP
directory issue.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears
(eyes?).  Thanks in advance!