Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:31:22 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Interface groups (from OpenBSD)

--nextPart6535353.WdSbsXgMfN

Hi,

while porting OpenBSD 3.9 (soon to be released) pf I stumbled on interface=
=20
groups.  This is a mechanism to group arbitrary interfaces into logical=20
groups.  It is just naming (not functional change), but it helps to convey=
=20
semantic information (e.g. group "LAN", "DMZ" ...) about your interface to=
=20
supporting applications.  This way you can write a policies for interface=20
group "LAN" and have it applied to all the VLAN interfaces that come and go=
=2E =20
Administration is done via ifconfig.  We currently have "ifconfig name" whi=
ch=20
does part of the job.

My question: Does that sound like something interesting for us and should I=
 go=20
for importing it into FreeBSD proper, or is it not at all interesting and w=
e=20
don't want it (in which case I'd hack something up for pf).

Technical reasoning:  A proper import would add an additional TAILQ link in=
to=20
struct ifnet (which is a great deal of ABI change and causes the usual=20
headaches).  The hack would use a single void *, but we'd have to pay for t=
he=20
additional indirection.  Also yet another config tool would be required to=
=20
administer the interface <-> group binding.

=2D-=20