Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2012 21:39:15 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: intra-jail communication slow

On 15. Apr 2012, at 19:28 , Beeblebrox wrote:

> I would like to know if this is normal for jails:
> 1. 3 different Jails for mysql , http, tinderbox.
> 2. No pf / nat running for the time being
> 3. My ifconfig for jails:
> 	inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
> (tinderbox, dhcp, tftp)
> 	inet 192.168.2.100 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 192.168.2.100  =
(http)
> 	inet 192.168.2.101 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 192.168.2.101  =
(mysql)
>=20
> Problem: Jails seem to be communicating with host and with each-other
> at an observably slower rate, compared to when all services are
> host-based.

Which communications and how much slower?

> Is this normal for jails or is my netconfig problematic in some way?

In theory not, but in practise please notice that for example with mysql =
you may switch from unix domain sockets (usually used in "localhost" =
case) to normal inet socket communications etc. which may affect your =
overall feeling of "speed".

Knowing details and numbers etc might help here to rule out a jail =
specific problem.

/bz

--=20
   It does not matter how good you are. It matters what good you do!