Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:05:50 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Claus Guttesen <cguttesen@yahoo.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation on hp rx2600

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 12:54:33AM +0100, Claus Guttesen wrote:
> >> This was done using the ATA-CD-drive. Since I'm
> >> able to boot on it, I figured I could goes as
> >> far as getting to the networked install.
> >
> > Yes. You should not go to post-install before
> > installing though.
> > Just select the install medium when given the
> > opportunity and
> > follow the screens.
>
> I did try a proper network-installation at first, but
> when that didn't work out I just wanted to see which
> nic's the installer saw. Looks like it only detects
> the gigabit (bge).

I think that's possible. There's an Intel EtherExpress in the
box, but only with the management board AFAICT.

> Would a workaround be to install either 5.0 or 5.1 and
> then cvsup to 5.2?

You can try it, but I would not try versions older than 5.1. Note
however that nothing in that area has been changed deliberately.
I don't expect a change in behaviour, but it may be possible that
5.1 sees the ATAPI CD. I forgot when we had the ACPI import back
then...