Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing the load address of the kernel?

Doug Ambrisko wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
 > Oliver Fromme writes:
 > | It would be nice to have FreeBSD support for those ROMs, too,
 > | in one way or another.  Even if we had a working netboot code,
 > | many people aren't able to make their own EPROMs.  Especially
 > | those QPGA/FPGA (?) Flash memories required for many PCI cards
 > | (like the EtherExpress Pro/100) aren't easy to make on your
 > | own.
 >
 > Actually it is pretty easy to do it for the Intel cards since they is
 > a utility from IBM that programs the flash boot rom on Intel cards.

It's not mentioned in intel's docs.  They don't even mention at
all that it is possible to do something like that.

However, it still leaves the problem to get such a flash ROM
somewhere.  I don't know about the US, but over here in Germany
it's not easy to find them.

 > I've hacked Etherboot to load FreeBSD/aout again and now to load FreeBSD/elf.

Is your code available from somewhere?  If it's usable, why not
commit it?  Would make things probably much easier for me.  :-)

I assume that the FreeBSD kernel will be ELF-only some day, so
my own a.out hackery won't work anymore then...

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)