Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:10:34 +1000
From:      Andrew Sinclair <syncman@optusnet.com.au>
To:        Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [OT] Apple's contribution to OSX

> Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> First off, apologies for this off-topic post, but I think this is the
> only place I'm likely to get an intelligent (and well-informed) answer
> to my question. I tried searching the web, but found a confusing and
> contradictory bunch of poorly-informed opinions, which wasn't helpful.
>
> I'm writing a news article about Apple's contribution to open source.
> In
> particular, I'm interested in finding out the following:
>
> 1) How much of FreeBSD did Apple actually use in OSX? If I'm not
> mistaken, the Darwin kernel is not related to FreeBSD in any way (or is
> that wrong?). Basically, what exactly did Apple gain from FreeBSD?

This is the 2nd time this question has been asked on the lists. I'll be sending an E-
Mail to Apple Computers tomorrow.
    As for the other two questions:
2) A FreeBSD core team member should be able to answer this.
3) Only Darwin is open source. Mac OS X is basically proprietary extensions to
Darwin and is thus closed source. This includes the GUI and its libraries.

        - Regards
            Andrew Sinclair