Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:24:10 +0100
From:      "eve" <eva@siol.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Disk quota exceeded - but still accepts mail for

Hello!

I followed FreeBSD's Handbook and configured new kernel with "options QUOTA"
defined in it. Then I put:

- in file /etc/rc.conf:
#quotas
enable_quotas="YES"
check_quotas="YES"

- in file /etc/fstab:
/dev/wd0s1e             /usr            ufs     rw,userquota,groupquota
2       2
/dev/wd0s1f             /var            ufs     rw,userquota,groupquota
2       2

#edquota -u test
Quotas for user test:
/usr: blocks in use: 22, limits (soft = 0, hard = 0)
        inodes in use: 22, limits (soft = 0, hard = 0)
/var: blocks in use: 0, limits (soft = 50, hard = 70)
        inodes in use: 1, limits (soft = 0, hard = 0)

# quota -v test
Disk quotas for user test (uid 1002):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
           /usr      22       0       0              22       0       0
           /var     440*     50      70   7days       1       0       0

I see it "complains" with an asterix that hard limit is exceeded, but how
come that it still accepts mail for this user (/var/mail)? If I want to copy
anything larger then hard quota defined - for example to /var/* as this
user, it says:

/var: warning, user disk quota exceeded

/var: write failed, user disk limit reached
cp: /var/mail/test: Disc quota exceeded

I'm running FreeBSD xxx.domain.tld 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Wed Feb
2 18:55:19 CET
 2000     root@xxx.domain.tld:/usr/src/sys/compile/OBUTI  i386

Thanks for any help!!
eve