Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 2020 20:29:00 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mate-terminal not displaying due to vte3 problem

Some time between Sept. 19 and today, mate-terminal fails to display any
text due to an error sent by vte3. I get the following error seven times
when mate-terminal starts:
(mate-terminal:71607): VTE-CRITICAL **: 19:57:20.287: void
vte_terminal_match_set_cursor_type(VteTerminal *, int, GdkCursorType):
assertion 'tag >= 0' failed

I last started mate on Sept. 20 and it worked fine. Today I rebooted my
system after an ugly failure that required a hard power cycle when it would
not shut down, so the problem could have started with some port update any
time between Sept. 19 at 10:00 UTC and this morning at 10:00 UTC. I update
my ports tree every morning at 10:00 UTC and then install updates as time
permits. I have 25 ports that are dependencies of mate-terminal that were
updated during that period.

It could also have been a corruption due to the hardware issue triggered by
a USB disk failure. Reinstalling the port, vte3, and gdk-pixbuf3 did not
help.

Any clues that might help me track this down would be greatly appreciated!
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com