Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 12:02:58 -0700
From:      norton@nrlmry.navy.mil
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP vs. PLIP

I just picked up a microcom modem for connecting to my ISP (they hook
into a T1).  They are running microcom modems also.  This is a 28.8
modem.

The modem info says that you can hook it up to either a serial port or
a parallel port - and claims that the parallel port arrangement will
give you about 3x the throughput.

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback as to if you would really
see higher bandwidth running through the parallel port (using PLIP, I
guess) vs. running PPP via the serial port.  Also - I've been using
the user PPP and it seems to be pretty solid.  How does the user
version compare the to kernel version to the PLIP implementation in
terms of both speed and reliability?  From what I can tell, I get
about 18kbits/sec on things like ftp's currently.

Thanks for any responses you care to send.
-dave