Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2012 06:46:40 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Subject:   Re: Help!  Firefox + acroread costs me $$$$

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 20:10:16 -0700 (MST), Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>
> > So, on FreeBSD, how does one get firefox and/or opera to use, for example,
> > evince or some other PDF displayer instead of using this goddamn lousey
> > buggy *&^%$#@ acroread ?
>
> Remove acroread entirely.  Install graphics/xpdf.  Click on a PDF link,
> tell Firefox to use xpdf and do that for all files of this type.

The xpdf program seems to _sometimes_ have problems with
carelessly created PDF documents. The best idea would be
to use a Firefox extension (as suggested) to first _download_
and _save_ the PDF file to disk for further use.

Then, testing xpdf and using it to print the file would be
much easier. If the file has been paid for, it can be opened
several times whatever program should be tested. For example,
even gv or zathura could be tried. And in the end, even
acroread. Even _I_ have to admit that I'm using it from time
to time, even if it REDEFINES THE MOUSE CURSOR to an ugly
white arrow! What a stupid move...

However, for paid content, first saving, then using, would
be the best way to deal with it. So the "in-line processing
chain" consisting of Firefox + somehow embedded acroread
(really?) could be split, so the reason for the system
freeze could be determined.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany