Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:07:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        01031149@3web.net (Duke Normandin)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "easy installation"!!!!! yeah right

Duke Normandin babbled:
> From: "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
> Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 22:22:48 -0800

> I'm a 52yr old newbie --- worse I don't know jack-shit about FreeBSD or any
> *nix for that matter. So please take my following observations in that
> context. It is NOT my intention to disparage anyone.

I'm a 53-year-old sorta-newbie, so I've got you beat by a year.   :-)

> I have wanted to learn Unix all this time.
> But guys, to launch myself in this new caper, "I simply want to know the
> time, NOT how to make a watch" -- if you get my meaning. Personally, being a
> tinkerer, I'll definitely want to know "how to make that watch" -- but
> later, when I'm comfortable "telling time". When you guys first started
> driving cars, where you all in a position to set the valve timing, the
> ignition timing, etc. Can you guys NOW overhaul your fuel injectors and tune
> your high-tech engines. Do you want to know how? Do you care?

I like this guy.  He just wrote what I was about to write, but much better.

The problem I'm having with this thread is that it seems to segregate
users into two camps: people like my wife, who has trouble turning on
a Windoze machine, and people like Greg Lehey, who wrote the book on
FreeBSD.  Well, we're not all either sysadmins or double-clicking idiots.
Here in the middle are people like Duke, who just wants to learn a bit
about UNIX, and people like me.

I'm a (ab)user, not an admin.  I primarily want to use my system to get
work done.  The more I learn about the valve timing and the ignition along
the way the better, but I'm NOT sitting here because I want to become a
mechanic or admin.  Should I therefore be condemned to the instability and
poor performance of Windoze?

You tell me to RTFM.  I really don't mind doing that, but I have two
problems: some of the man pages are NOT written for the uninitiated, and
many times I don't know really where to start looking.  If I were wanting
to become an admin that wouldn't really matter; I'd simply start wading
into Greg's book and the archives until something clicked.  Mostly I just
don't have time for that, and I think it's unreasonable to expect Joe User
in general to have that much immediately available time.

Do you as a group really want to divide users into two camps:  FreeBSD
sysadmins, and Windoze lusers?  Should those of us who simply want a
nonfragile system to get personal work done all move to Linux?

FWIW, I came to FreeBSD from the Atari ST, by way of Xenix, so I'm another
with no MS-DOS background.  I do run WinNT on my notebook, but that's be-
cause my employer requires that I run SOME form of Windoze, and NT is at
least reasonably robust for a single user, even if the performance isn't
anything to write home about.  I've used mechanical CAD on HP-UX, SunOS,
and IRIX, but even there I was just a user, with just a driver's license,
not a mechanics' certification.  I don't want to race; I just want to
drive to the grocery store, but I'd like to get home again without a
crash.

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD                 Atarian ordinaire
jdunham@fc.net                                           (512)335-0674 (H)

                              E Pluribus Unix