Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:05:30 -0700
From:      Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of encryption hardware support in FreeBSD

Hi,

That's not really the point here, I was talking about lowest end
hardware compared to high end CPU. If we compare with high end hardware,
then we're talking about factor >50 faster than software.... There are
chips out that can do >1Gbit 3-DES, given a 64bit/66Mhz PCI bus.

I'm just starting with a low end chip to complement my 133 Mhz 486 based
net4501 board, with the goal of low cost and low power, not absolute
performance.

Soren