Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2023 10:03:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Disable compression of newsyslog by default

> On 2023-12-23 06:52, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 11:18:23PM -0800, Xin Li wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Inspired by D42961, I propose that we move forward with disabling the
> >> compression by default in newsyslog, as implemented in
> >> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D43169
> >>
> >> Historically, newsyslog has compressed rotated log files to save disk space.
> >> This approach was valuable in the early days where storage space was
> >> limited.  However, the landscape has changed significantly.  Modern file
> >> systems, such as ZFS, now offer native compression capabilities.
> >> Additionally, the widespread availability of larger hard drives has
> >> diminished the necessity for additional compression.  Notably, the need to
> >> decompress log files for pattern searches poses a significant inconvenience,
> >> further questioning the utility of this legacy feature.
> >>
> >> In commit 906748d208d3, flags J, X, Y, Z can now indicate that a log file is
> >> eligible for compression rather than directly enforcing it. It allows for a
> >> more flexible approach, wherein the actual compression method can be set to
> >> "none" or specified as one among bzip2, gzip, xz, or zstd.
> >>
> >> Therefore I would propose that we change the default compression setting to
> >> "none" in FreeBSD 15.0.  This change reflects our adaptation to the evolving
> >> technological environment and user needs.  It also aligns with the broader
> >> initiative to modernize our systems while maintaining flexibility and
> >> efficiency.
> >>
> >> I look forward to your thoughts and feedback on this proposal.
> >
> > This is strange change at best.  I have no opinion about the disabling
> > of compression of the rotated logs by default, but we already have knobs
> > to do that.  Adding a knob that disables (or enables) other knobs to work
> > is weird.

And counter intuitive!

> > If you want to change the compression, update the default configuration file.
>
> The primary issue with simply updating the default configuration file is
> the increased workload it imposes during system upgrades. Since the
> compression method flag is a part of newsyslog.conf, standard conflict
> resolution tools like diff3 struggle to automatically resolve changes
> involving these flags without manual intervention. This situation
> necessitates that users manually reconcile their configuration with
> every update to newsyslog.conf, even for minor alterations like
> switching the default compression method.
>
> Therefore, the proposal isn't about adding another knob within
> newsyslog.conf. Rather, it's about introducing a command-line option for
> newsyslog (to be used in /etc/crontab) that specifies the preferred
> compression method, or the choice not to compress at all. This approach
> is more self-contained compared to modifying each line in
> newsyslog.conf. It offers a simpler, more straightforward solution for
> administrators to manage their compression settings, reducing the
> administrative burden during upgrades.

So now I edit /etc/crontab to change the behavior of newsyslog?
Thats VERY counter to how things "should be."  I am sorry, but
this change is just yet another "Oh my god, the defaults dont
work for me so I am gona force my idea of what the defaults should
be on everone else."

And you just pushed the merge conflict to another file, one that
is not even related to newsyslog, you do get your arguement doesnt
hold water?  A change in /etc/newsyslog.conf or /etc/crontab BOTH
lead to the fact people are going to have to merge things.

Now we are goning go crazy trying to figure out why my logs are
not compressed and finally gona end up finding this flag in
/etc/crontab that is causing newsyslog to ignore what I put
in its proper config file???  Again, very counter intuitive.

> I hope this clarifies the rationale behind the proposed changes and
> their potential benefits.

I see only change for the sake of change and no real benefit, just
another hack cause someone is to weak to deal with locally modifing
configurations and dealing with the maintenance.  Do understand
every single change to any of this configuration stuff creates
burden for someone, I now have to add yet another file to my
maintanance to undo this change to /etc/crontab.  And I have to
special case that as "only apply if version >= 15".