Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 00:18:02 +0100
From:      Ulrich <freebsd-alpha@infopuls.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DEC 500a

Hi Pete (and to all kind readers/helpers)

have you been able to solve your problem of booting Release 5.4 on your
Alpha 500a?

I'm asking because I encountered probably the same problem on more or less
the same type of machine (Miata).

I'm booting with floppy, in fact with the 5 floppies I've prepared.
It goes smoothly until it is booting the kernel.
It eventually reports

pci0: <display, VGA> at device 11.0 (no driver attached)
pci0: <display> at device 12.0 (no driver attached)

halted CPU 0

halt code = 5
HALT instruction executed
PC = 1c

Your log at http://carl.ics.hawaii.edu/~pete/alpha.txt ends up with similar
lines. The difference is that your system features a single display device
and the detection of the PCI-PCI bridge, the PCI bus and the QLogic SCSI
adapter comes later. The result is pretty much the same.

BTW, is there an easy way (other than typing) to capture the output of the
booting process into a file? You seem to have managed it, and I know that it
should be possible to have the output sent over a serial line, but I don't
know how to configure that. I have a serial cable and another machine
running FreeBSD 4.9 though.

I'm reading the list and I checked the archive to no avail. Would it be a
better idea to try 6.0 instead? Or should I try to get an older version like
4.9 e.g.?

TIA

Ulrich