Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:54:19 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=FCnther_Schmidt?= <guenther.schmidt@bigfoot.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Netscape Navigator: could not open /usr/libex/ld.so

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 11:05:01AM +0100, Günther Schmidt wrote:

> I'm new to FreeBSD but I have some Linux experience. I have FreeBSD 3.2
> install with KDE. I'm trying to start Netscape and get "could not open
> /usr/libex/ld.so". What am I missing?

Which Netscape are you trying to run? AFAIR, the native FreeBSD binaries
are in the older a.out binary format which is only supported by FreeBSD
3.x, when you have the compat22 distribution (a.out shared libraries)
installed. It looks like it's that what's missing. If you're planning
to use the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in and/or the Macromedia Flash
plug-in (both unfortunately only available for Linux), you need the
linux_base port (is there a package?) which is a set of original Red
Hat shared libraries and utilities for using Linux binaries on FreeBSD
and the Netscape Communicator/Navigator binary for Linux. That altogether
runs fine :-)

To install compat22, look at /stand/sysinstall.

> P.S. Also, any sort of GUI for kernel configurartion?

Sorry, not yet.

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,