Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 01:00:13 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

From: peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
> > > Ordering guarantees within a single run level/state are hard to provide
> +> Actually, a single file is the easiest to control ordering in.

> Not if you're adding to it from a script.

Three cases: (1) by hand (2) a GUI admin tool (3) a package install script

1 is easy. Humans parse things.
2 is easy. The GUI controls the file writing in all cases
3 is not very difficult in an of itself. It calls a command tool that uses
the same library subroutine that the GUI calls to edit the file.

The problem comes with dependancies. Which can be either addition information
from the package, or guessed at (by any of the above).  Personally,
I can conceive of no reason not to make them explicit information
contained in the package.

So the package install script is never editing the file itself,
it is calling something which does.

And I really can't see a difference between correctly using a tool to add
a line to a file, and correctly using a tool (the file system) to add a
numbered script to a directory. Either you use it correctly or not, either
it's written correctly or not. If not, you're in a world of hurt either way.

> Yeh, but does "httpd" come before or after "nfsiod"?
> It's much easier to do "ln -s ../init.d/httpd S95httpd" than to figure out
> where in the middle of a user-hacked script a command needs to go.

I don't know. Personally, since httpd is stand-alone, I'd put it after
anything else that might have things depending on it (like file system daemons).

But whoever picked the number 95 sure knows...
Back to my three cases.

Again, if you can figure out the number, you can figure out what
it is dependent upon. If you can't you can't.

Most packages are not going to be dependant on many things.
And, at a quick look, I can't see any that would have things
dependent upon then (we're talking on startup, not install).

Granted, the sub-dir method handles run-states a little easier.
But I barely see the point of that over run-levels anyway.

It really comes down to which way you like to work, and which
you feel more confortable relying upon.

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 3 Hansom Drive, Merrimack, NH  03054
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...