Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:56:28 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   marking disks

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

I'm building a cluster where the nodes will boot using PXE, but they have
disks on them which will be used for things like scratch space, swap,
crash dumps, etc.  Once of the issues I'm facing is that I'd like to be
able to detect if the disks have been partioned to the latest standard
on boot and rebuild them if they haven't.  I'd like this to be able to
work with Linux if necessicary, but for now the systems will run FreeBSD.

What I'd been thinking was that I could write a magic string over the
beginning of the MBR since I'm never going to try and boot these disks.
That would let me detect uninitalized drives as well as out of date
partitioning schemes.  Are there any problems to look out for with
this solution?  Does anyone know of a better one?

Thanks,
Brooks

--=20

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z