Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 95 10:02:05 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rmallory@wiley.csusb.edu (Rob Mallory)
Cc:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

> question:  When I put the cdrom in to install, what the hell am I going to
>          do with all this VME-bus crap in my /sys tree? I dont think I will
>          ever be compiling something with VLIW's on my 386!

[ ... ]

> What about the people who want only an arch-specific /sys tree?
> What if I want the whole enchilada so I can compile a new kernel for
> my lonely 486 on my 250Mhz Alpha?

The second question will probably be answered "it's in there!".

The first question is tougher.

I think one of the major mistakes that USL made in the SVR4.2 ES/MP
source tree (hmmm... did that ever get put anywhere but UnixWare?)
was that you extracted a buildable tree from a combination of three
source repositories, two of them dependent on the actual machine you
would be building for.

Think about this a second.

There was no reliable reverse-index mechanism for getting problem
fixes back into an overall tree.

One of my biggest complaints with UnixWare was that it didn't meet
SVID III (I've bitched about this before).

Basically, any UNIX as fo SVR4 was no longer SVID compliant and
therefore no longer "System V" because of the distinction between
"system clock frequency" and "clock update frequency".  In other
words, the getitimer(RT), setitimer(RT), and gettimeofday(RT)
functions were screwed because interval timers had only a 10ms
resoloution instead of 1sec/"system clock frequency" resoloution
(if you don't think this is bad, then please consider the concept
"double click" and then consider the concept "select timeout").

Finally I got it working on my personal machine with an extracted
tree containing only Intel processer components.

To get back to the point, fixing this would have required an
interface change, but with a buildable tree an interface change
was not possible; you could only do an interface change with the
whole tree (and if you didn't have that you were screwed).  And
even if you had one, you were in for a 36 hour process of the
extraction a full build necessary to see if the change worked,
and you would only have verification on your personal architecture
anyway:  There was the assumption that all supported hardware
would be available to whoever was doing this sort of work.  And
people call the *BSDs elitest now!

I think FreeBSD should *run* the other direction from this type
of partitioning.  If it doesn't, there will be no way to get the
changes needed for support of a particular architecture rolled
back into the tree.

Integration is a real (manual labor) bitch in this type of setup.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.