Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:31:59 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: post installworld cleanup (was Re: usr.sbin/pim6[sd]d will be  removed soon.)

[CCs trimmed]

Nick Sayer wrote:

> Stephan van Beerschoten wrote:
>
> > What happens with a (previously installed) /usr/sbin/pim6[sd]d ?
It lives forever.

> > Will 'make (install)world' remove it ?

AFAIK, no.

> > If not, what system is in place (if any) to accomplish this in order to get a really clean system ?

Clean binary install. Or make lucky guesses on timestamps as explained
below (but trimmed).

IMHO, FreeBSD should really start to move away from the old packaging
scheme for the base distro. Ie., the binary distro is still packaged as
bin.aa (ie split(1)-style) zillions of files with arbitrary contents.

I think these packages should at least contain a TOC (+CONTENTS anyone?)
and preferably install an entry in /var/db/pkg.

AFAIK, this implies changes to:

- make release
- make (install)world
- binary upgrade
- binary installs

...to (maybe?) use pkg_create interface as the ports do. The package
names could be something like base-bin-stable-2001.06.02.12.21 or
base-games-rel-4.3. It would also be nice to split the biggest distros
(eg bin) in seperate packages.

I always wanted to get this working. I really think that the user should
have finer control over the content of its base distro.

I will try to see if I can produce plists of the main distros. As for
the hacking of the aformentionned (sp?) processes, I'm not sure I am
easy enough with that yet...

As the tools to handle the /var/db/pkg database get more and more
evolved, I think this could be a good path to follow.

A.
--
La sémantique est la gravité de l'abstraction.