Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 16:18:13 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about make -jn on single cpu

At 12:36 PM 4/8/99 -0700, you wrote:
>> This machine is a p2-350, 64M ram, 7200 rpm ide drive, dma not enabled
>> (I've had problems with dma, so I don't have it enabled right now).
>
>Your bottleneck is I/O; increasing -j increases the I/O load on the build,
>and your system can't take it.

Hmm, so if I get dma working I might have more luck?  Just now searching
about people that have had problems with dma turned up a reference that
some of the seagate 7200 rpm drives have problems with ultradma, so I guess
I need to be contacting them about this problem.  (Certainly explains why
every time I try enabling dma support under Windows I end up trashing the
registry).

Thanks, as usual, you're right there with all the answers on hand.  I for
one, definitely appreciate it.

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu