Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 1995 20:29:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        jkh@morton.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: sup:  Ok, I'm gonna do it.

> > freefall.cdrom.com.  Are there going to be any others?  If we're going to
> > do backup sup sites, then the time to do it is SOON!
> yes.
>
> How about this scenario:
>
> 	ftp a file from freefall
> 	traceroute all of the sites mentioned

Ohh, people are going to love us for that :-)

> 	present menu of three closest

A less drastic solution to a not really solvable problem would be to
look at the domain name of the user and have some heuristic to pick
a site based on that. For the uk that would be fairly trivial as it
would be for many other countries. For the US then maybe some local
net hierarchy knowledge could be used. It's not that big a deal really.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Phone: +44 1222 874000 x6646 (work), +44 1222 457651 (home)