Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:35:34 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        Scott Worthington <SWorthington@hsag.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proper use of natd for mail (port 25)...

Scott, I have set up similar configurations at work and for customers -
for example, for VNC access of a Windoze box from special hosts in the
outer world or using FileMaker databases. It works flawlessly - I tried
to look through for mail carefully but didn't find anything, sorry.

Please add a ``log'' parameter to your firewall rules and look where
the packets go and how they look like (and you can give us some useful
excerpt from it, I mean, what happens to the packet(s) on their way?)

You could even tcpdump -i fxp1 to see which packets go through that net.

I think the packets coming back from your internal SMTP server don't pass
natd, because you do divert those packets if they go via fxp0. A private
nework (10.0/8, 172.I.was.to.lazy.to.look.in./etc/hosts, 192.168/16) should
never be routed to the outer world, maybe that's the simple reason.

Remove the ``via fxp0'' parameter from the divert rule.

Good luck,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,