Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 14:17:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
To:        Hank Leininger <hlein@progressive-comp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible New Security Tool For FreeBSD, Need Your Help.

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Hank Leininger wrote:

> Then whack this data into IP
> and TCP options fields of some set of packets you throw at the box.  The
> server would listen for the right sequence of packets,
And you're toasted in case of a packet loss, since IP is an unreliable
protocol. Not to mention that some paranoid router/firewall on the way
may drop the "weird" datagrams.

> But really, it hardly seems worth the bother.  A whole lot of complexity
> (==places for your implementation to be buggy and open new security holes)
> and resource-consumption (==DoS opportunity) for little gain other than
> security through obscurity.
Exactly. IMHO this tool would be no much gain in normal administration but
would make a hard to detect backdoor.

> Now, if there were a CGI that was POSTed to with this signed/encrypted
> request...
But the script would reside by default in the same location so throwing
together a kiddie scanner is trivial. Not to mention the possibility of
exploitation of the script. And also SSL'd connections should be
used... Too much configuration overhead, I think.