Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:59:34 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        Curtis Jewell <swordsman@csjewell.fastmail.us>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building the README.html's (was Re: Building the INDEX)

> Speaking of "make index", I do a "make
> TEMPLATES=/root/.update-ports/templates/ readmes" at the top level
> (/usr/ports) and the perl program doesn't respect the TEMPLATES dir... the
> top level and the categories use the template, the individual ports do
> not.

By the way, what do you think of the idea, instead of polluting the ports tree
with README.html everywhere, to have a simple script which dynamically
computes the page you want to look? All the information is in the INDEX file,
hence can be extracted instantaneously. It's only a question of having pretty
templates to show something nice, and a simple http server. For example i know
this is trivial to do with python BaseHTTPServer, but it should be as trivial
with perl or other similar tool.

--

Michel TALON